Wednesday, January 4, 2006

GIVE ME YOUR TIRED, YOUR HUNGRY, YOUR HUDDLED MASSES YEARNING TO BREATHE FREE: While I realize that the population of people who care about New York restaurants constitutes but a small subset of the ALOTT5MA population, that small subset is probably still larger than the even-smaller subset who care about New York theatre. And since I feel no compunction about posting about theatre, I feel perfectly justified mentioning New York Magazine's first-ever ranked restaurant ratings and the introduction of their new 5-star rating system. It takes a fair amount of effort to keep oneself plugged into the comings and goings of restaurants around here -- many many people = many many restaurants -- and so this kind of biased-but-thorough piece gives lapsed fooderati like myself something to talk about. And so:
  • I have never understood the decades-long mania for Le Bernardin. It's FISH, people! Ditto all the fanfare for wd-50. It's fine, but #4? Above Craft, Jean-Georges, Daniel, Blue Hill, and so on, and so on, and so on?
  • A few of my favorite restaurants received suitable adulation: Craft, Wallse, Alto, BLT Steak, and the transcendent lobster roll at Mary's Fish Camp.
  • And most importantly, I now have a list of ten or more must-try restaurants to visit this year. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment