Monday, April 17, 2006

BATHOS: Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines the word as follows:
"1 a : the sudden appearance of the commonplace in otherwise elevated matter or style. b : ANTICLIMAX
2 : exceptional commonplaceness : TRITENESS
3 : insincere or overdone pathos : SENTIMENTALISM"

Why am I defining this word? Because it's the perfect word to describe the incredibly overplayed, incredibly inspid song "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt. Can anyone say anything favorable about this song?

Here's my basic objection. If a beautiful woman smiled at me on the subway in a situation in which there was no real chance for furthering the connection, then I'd chock that up as a good thing. I mean having an attractive woman smile at you is kind of a rush, isn't it? It would never cross my mind in a million years to moan and groan about how I'll never get to know her.


No comments:

Post a Comment