Tuesday, May 2, 2006

WHO KNEW THAT THE BEATLES WERE STILL RECORDING IN 2006? Erratic would definitely summarize tonight's AI. There are few enough contestants remaining that I'm comfortable delving into bulletpoints:

  • Elliott: I'm back to my usual meh on Elliott after last week's unusually favorable reaction. "On Broadway" is one of my all-time favorite songs, but I have to reveal my inner geek here (or maybe it's not so inner) by confessing that I far prefer the Yale Whiffenpoofs' arrangement to the bow-chicka-wow-wow George Benson version that Elliott covered note for note, riff for riff. And that Michael BublĂ© song was just boring. (And I really wish that Michael BublĂ© had changed his last name. I can't help but get all Beavis and Butthead about it.)
  • Paris: To me, "Kiss" was exactly the sort of thing she should have been singing throughout the finals, regardless of what the judges had to say about it. I just thought it was cool. As for her second song, I had to take a wild guess that the "Mary" the judges were referring to was Mary J. Blige, and I'm pleased to see that I was correct. (When did Mary J. Blige become an artist recognizable by only her first name?) I never heard the song before, but thought Paris did a nice job with it.
  • Daughtry: Dude, that was Styx's Renegade! Great song, and I loved hearing Daughtry sing it. I have no idea what his second song was -- the words "I Dare You" are hard to google, yo -- but I totally agree with the judges that he sounded like his vocal cords were about to implode. Go drink some lemon tea pronto.
  • Katharine: Adam nailed her 1984 song choice, much to my bummitude. That just sucked. But I lurved that "Black Horse in the Cherry Tree" song. And I am violently prejudiced against all new music, so that's saying something.
  • Taylor: I can't believe that someone on AI sang "Play That Funky Music, White Boy," but I guess if someone was going to do it, that someone would in fact be Taylor. Not that this was a great vocal, but it was fun to Let Taylor Be Taylor. Someone should write that on a napkin. I also enjoyed his "Something," although I didn't think it was nearly worth the pimp slot. (Can someone tell me what the Billboard "pop catalog" chart is? Is it just an extended version of the annual top 500 songs of all time countdown on WYSP that provided the soundtrack for every Labor Day weekend of my youth?)

Although this was Paris's best week in a long time, I think she's lost a lot of voter goodwill and will likely find herself in the bottom two. And much as I love her, I suspect Katharine will be joining Paris there -- although I personally would obviously prefer to see Elliott hit the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment