Tuesday, January 30, 2007

ARE THEY SAVING TRAVOLTA FOR THE FINALE? While I'm a little annoyed that Billy Bush's teleprompter writers coined nicknames for the 12 14 I Wanna Be a Greaser finalists, thereby taking some of the fun out of my job, I was pleased with the overall talent level of the 12 finalists who'd actually gotten to the finals in the ordinary course. (The two who were brought back after-the-fact, Emotional Sandy and Second-Chance/Man Tears Danny, seemed woefully amateurish compared to the others.) This shouldn't be surprising. At this point, America is doing all the choosing, and the stakes are rather higher than with American Idol: the teenyboppers doing the voting are unlikely to be the majority of audience members for a Broadway production, so the winners actually have to be kind of good in order to appeal to the standard Broadway audience. (Granted, Grease is pretty much criticproof, but it's not like a thirteen year old girl in Des Moines who's been fanatically voting for Bellhop Danny or Boy Band Danny is likely to support the franchise by flying to NYC to see a show versus buying the AI winner's first album at her local whatever-record-store-still-exists or off of iTunes.)

Anyway. Not much to say about the actual performances except that two of my least favorite performances were among the judges' favorites: Baby Sandy (aka Elisabeth Shue Sandy), whose "I Love Rock and Roll" seemed more angry than sexy, and Ambitious Danny (aka Flailing Danny), whose "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" must have played better live than on TV. I particularly liked Spiritual Sandy -- she sang that "Beautiful Girl" song that the AI folks seem to like -- as well as Serious Sandy. As for the Dannys, I have to say that Hot Danny (aka I Was a Teenage Geek But Now I Am Hot Danny) gives me the oogies -- he's just a little too, well, oogy for me. Wholesome Danny and Slacker Danny were my favorites among the guys.

Anybody watching this one, or is this another show like So You Think You Can Dance regarding which I draft posts for my own amusement?

No comments:

Post a Comment