Sunday, April 15, 2007

IT'S EITHER THIS OR A STATE OF ISRAEL BOND: So, I was down in Miami this weekend for the bar mitzvah of my mom's cousin's younger son -- my mom's cousin and her husband having left the Philadelphia area for Sunny Florida 20+ years ago, and I've met the honoree only about 3-4 times before this weekend.

But he strikes me as a bright, thoughtful kid with a sense of humor who's occasionally harassed by his 16-year-old brother, and it occurred to me that rather than just gifting him with a cash equivalent or the like, that I might be able to assemble for him some kind of Survival Kit and Guide Book For Remaining A Mensch In Your Teenage Years, a collection of books and DVDs that might help him keep his bearings and mature over time. Like, I think every teenage Jewish boy needs a copy of Woody Allen's Without Feathers. Maybe John Edgar Wideman's Brothers and Keepers, but thirteen may be too young for that. And he should see School Ties. What else?

No comments:

Post a Comment