Thursday, August 30, 2007

I'VE GOT A WEIRD THING FOR GIRLS WHO SAY 'ABOOT': In going through my pop culture autobiography in my head, one of the definite markers is Kevin Smith's Chasing Amy, a movie that hit me at a particularly relevant point at my life. It's Smith's best film, and I think it really got into a lot of real and thorny emotional truths about the personae we construct and carry into each new relationship.

Still, I have two problems with the film, though I'm going to put the Joey Lauren Adams' Annoying Voice thing to the side and focus on the second: the movie's ending just doesn't work. I don't know that Smith wrote himself into a box from which he couldn't escape or what, but that big confrontation scene at the end just felt contrived and false. For a movie's ending to be satisfactory, it need not be happy, but it does have to feel like the natural conclusion of all that came before.

That very last scene is probably where this story was supposed to end; it just didn't get there the right way. I'm interested in whether anyone out there shares this sentiment, and whether anyone had any ideas on how to rewrite Smith's final act.

No comments:

Post a Comment