Tuesday, August 21, 2007

GOODBYE, EMMANUELLE: ALOTT5MA friend and commenter, House Next Door contributor, and culture pro Edward Copeland, after soliticing nominations from critics, bloggers, the academy, and "just plain movie fans," has compiled a first ballot for a consensus list of the best foreign-language films. Although he says it's "similar to what the AFI does," one key difference is that it doesn't suck.

On a quick review, it's hard to argue with what did get the requisite three votes to make the list (although Umbrellas of Cherbourg kind of makes me scratch my head -- actual translated quote from opening song: "hey, Joe, can you fix my car?"). I suppose if I were inclined to complain, I would wonder about the exclusion of genre fare like Hard Boiled and La Femme Nikita (the former particularly in light of the inclusion of Chow Yun Fat's other big role, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon), and I might snit a little that my favorite of Kieslowski's Three Colors trilogy, White, was the only one that didn't get an individual vote (it apparently got a sponsor's exemption). I'm a little surprised that the Samurai Trilogy didn't make it too, though I didn't like it as much as I expected, so I'm okay with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment