Monday, September 24, 2007

BUT IS IT SOFT AS A DOWNY CHICK?: All sorts of stuff to talk about in this article, only some of which relates to the 9-feet-wide Jolie-Pitt family bed. What I found most interesting was Assassination of Jesse James . . . director Andrew Dominik's comment that "you never really feel like you know [Brad Pitt] on-screen." I totally agree with this observation, and have always found it to be Pitt's biggest flaw as an actor. He doesn't command any empathy and is always one step further removed from the audience than everyone else in any of his films. Granted, I haven't seen every single movie in the Pitt oeuvre -- maybe there's some gripping emotional frankness in Babel or Fight Club of which I am unaware -- but from what I've seen, he's basically got two modes: Flip in-on-the-Joke Brad (Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Ocean's 11 through 13) and Stony Emotionally Unavailable Brad (A River Runs Through It, Spy Game, Legends of the Fall). Am I missing some inner depth here, or is this all he's got?

(thanks to ThingThrower MBR for the tip)

No comments:

Post a Comment