Wednesday, February 13, 2008

IT IS AT THE EDGE OF THE PETAL THAT LOVE WAITS: The day greeted us with a coating of slick ice everywhere. The start of school was pushed back two hours. With a special holiday looming, my eldest son came to me and asked a favor.

“Dad, can you take me to a florist? I want to buy a rose for J.” He paused a moment, a little unsure of himself. He’d never bought flowers of any kind for a girl before.

“Dad, with a gorgeous wife like Mommy, I bet you’ve bought her roses lots of times. Will you show me what to do?”

How could I possibly say no? We drove together to the local farmer’s market, where the best local florist has a stand. I guided him to the roses on display. “What do I do now” he asked?

“Pick out the color you like best. Red is traditionally the color of romance.” He decided he liked the white ones best.

“How do I know which one to choose?”

“Choose one that looks fresh and healthy. Look for one that still has a tight bud.” He selected his favorite one.

I beckoned to the florist. “This is the first time my son has bought a rose for a girl. Did he pick out a good one?”

She smiled. “The one you picked smells especially good. Yes, I’m sure she will love this one.”

While she wrapped it, I asked my son “what do you think J will say when she sees this?” Suddenly he was a little boy again. He stared at the floor.

“I just want her to be happy because she makes me so happy.”

Let's make this our "open Valentine's Day" thread. Share a favorite memory. When was the first time you bought someone special a rose (or received one from someone special)? Tell a tale of a Valentine's Day to remember.


No comments:

Post a Comment