Thursday, February 28, 2008

I'VE NEVER MET A MEAN AFRICAN: It's too early to handicap this cycle of ANTM, and maybe it would be pointless anyway (given that two episodes in, the most model-ready one seems to be the weird-looking 24-year old mother with no eyebrows, meaning, as if). But I didn't want to let the episode go by without commenting on the quote in the title of this post. I have no great love for Fatima, who is socially inept and has the most unsightly hairdo in this show's history of bad hairdos (it's not often that I think a woman would look better bald, but there's a first for everything, I guess). Still, it requires an impressive combination of ignorance and condescencion for a person to imply to Fatima -- a female-genital-mutilated refugee from a series of brutal wars and conflicts in Somalia, mind you -- that she is the meanest person ever born on the continent of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment