Wednesday, March 26, 2008

AND JUST TO BE CLEAR, THERE ARE THREE SCHOOLS IN NEW YORK OFFERING AN INTERNATIONAL BACCALAUREATE, NOT ONE: I never had the slightest intention of watching Bravo's Real Housewives of New York City, as I am not normally a fan of what I'll call observational reality shows (The Real World being the obvious example of the genre). But then I found out that the significant other of one of the "housewives" -- and believe me, never has that term been used more loosely than it is on this show -- is a person with whom I worked closely for some years. So I tuned in to assuage my total disbelief that this person would agree to set foot on a reality show, and that's it, I'm hooked.

I can't decide whether the point of the show is to allow wanna-be ladies of a certain NYC scene to ogle the lives they would like to have or whether it's to encourage viewers to sit there in astonishment that people could be so fantastically un-self-aware. Just like My Super Sweet 16 (and now that I think about it, that's the other show in this genre that I find endlessly fascinating and horrifying at the same time), I just sit there and wait for the next unbelievably horrible thing to come out of someone's mouth. I know that this all sounds totally judgmental. But you know what? You agree to do a show like this, you get to have snarky bloggers be all judgy at you.

Is anybody watching this one?

No comments:

Post a Comment