Thursday, August 7, 2008

HOW MANY POTS HAVE YOU SMOKEN? So Carrie invited me to see a preview of The Pineapple Express two weeks ago, and while I get what they were trying to do, it's not upper echelon of the Apatovian universe.

Basically, the movie plays as though Seth Rogen and his friends saw every action-slash-comedy of the mid to late 80s -- films like Beverly Hills Cop, Fletch and Stakeout that mixed laughs with violence-filled climaxes -- and fantasized about starring in one themselves. So, yes, some of the stuff early on is really funny, especially James Franco waxing on about his bubbe ... and then it collapses towards the end because the all-action finale isn't quite over-the-top enough to be funny, and instead hits some misogynistic notes that are a bit uncomfortable.

In re Rogen: as I said last summer with Superbad, I might have been a lot cooler growing up had there been movie stars back then who looked like Jonah Hill and Seth Rogen. So I'm certainly rooting for his success. But it's time to see what else he can do other than play himself.

So, should you see it? If you were looking forward to it, then go. It's fun enough for most of its length. But it's not something I'd go out of my way to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment