Thursday, May 28, 2009

THE THOUGHT OF SOMEONE KVETCHING ABOUT HER KICHEL GAVE MERYL THE SHPILKES: The WaPo's Dan Steinberg tracks the increased "humor" in the Could You Use That In A Sentence sentences.

Meanwhile, Bee Central has added a page featuring tonight's 11 finalists, including photos of all the spellers in action. Added! And Dan Steinberg spoke with them this afternoon, including:
All day I've been referring to Serena Skye Laine-Lobsinger as Bee Goes Punk, and she sort of was ok with that description.

"I'm kind of adventurous with what I like to wear," the 13-year old from West Palm Beach told me. "I'll wear pretty much anything.

She's particularly fond of bandanas, was sporting some sparkled-out Chuck Taylors, and had four shades of nail polish on (black and white alternating on her right hand, and silver and pink on her left). So, punk?

"You probably could say that," she said. "That's probably how a lot of people look at me."

Just to make sure, I asked her what sort of music she listens to. The answer: alternative rock, techno, electronica, and "screamo," which has some roots in hardcore punk. Score.
Finally, I do hope that some the 282 other finalists took advantage of the rare opportunity presented to them today by seeing Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian at the Smithsonian in IMAX format. From what I've heard, it's a lousy movie, but thumbs-up for the recursive experience. [That said, you can never go wrong with To Fly!.]

No comments:

Post a Comment