Sunday, November 7, 2010

A 21 WAVE MOTION GUN SALUTE: Yoshinobu Nishizaka, co-creator of anime classic Space Battleship Yamato (released stateside as Star Blazers), died today at the age of 75 in a drowning accident off his own Yamato steamship in the Bonin Islands, and I swear I have a decent alibi.  As always, I will use anything Star Blazers-related as an excuse to link to the latest version of the trailer for the upcoming live-action film, now with English subtitles and a theme song by, gulp, American Idol judge Steven Tyler.  No, it doesn't beat the original.

5 comments:

  1. two thoughts.

    1 that second trailer just about undid all the goodwill generated by the first

    2 at first I thought you were rickrolling with that last link

    ReplyDelete
  2. J. Bowman9:46 AM

    Oh Christ, they've turned it into Armageddon.

    You know what? I don't care. I'll see it if I have to fly to Tokyo next month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric J.9:55 AM

    As I said over on I09, given the fetishistic Otaku reproductions of the ship and costumes, I can't imagine that the movie won't have the original theme. I'm sure that song will just play over the end credits, or at worst, during a montage.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want $10 if they also use "Hallelujah" or a Smashmouth song.<span> </span>

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Pathetic Earthling5:51 PM

    I asked my friend who works in the anime industry and he relayed a comment that "The Nish" was often described as a cross between Walt Disney and Scarface.  I don't know what that means, exactly, but I'll pass it along anyway.

    ReplyDelete