Saturday, March 12, 2011

FOILED AGAIN: I thought I was being soooo smart -- drafting a self-referential post at this hour queued via the Blogger.com interface to be published on March 13, 2011 at 2:30 am -- a time which, as you know, will not occur thanks to the Daylight Savings Time shift at 2am. I was curious to see what would happen -- would I wake up and find Biff Tannen as my mayor?

Blogger.com is one step ahead of me, sadly. Because when I scheduled this post to be published at that time, an error message popped up: "Because of a daylight savings time shift on the date entered, the time entered does not exist."  So you're seeing it now instead.

(But what if I were posting from Arizona, which does not observe Daylight Savings Time and therefore it does exist? Related, how do tv stations and cable networks broadcasting in Arizona account for the extra hour experienced there tonight while the rest of us jump ahead?)

10 comments:

  1. I assume they pop in the leftover tape from November that they didn't have time to show then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. girard3111:31 AM

    I don't think the TV stations or cable networks in AZ have to account for anything. From that point forward, the time would just be off by an hour. The hour doesn't disappear there, it just becomes a different hour. Right? Because now that I've wrote this, it doesn't make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joseph J. Finn11:53 AM

    It's a perfect time to show that final episode of The Cape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So does the whole primetime schedule shift for them?  Everything's now aired an hour earlier; we observing DST just call it the same time that it was before.<span> </span>

    ReplyDelete
  5. No, the time of everything stays the same. (DST isn't weird in Arizona, it's weird *everywhere else.*)  I don't know how affiliates pick up network programming but even if it's by satellite you just pick up the pacific feed instead of mountain.  

    ReplyDelete
  6. janet3:06 PM

    I grew up in northeastern Indiana where the time didn't change. In the summer, all the TV shows appeared one hour later than they did in the winter. Winter: late evening news at 10pm, Tonight Show at 10:30. Summer: late evening news at 11pm, Tonight Show at 11:30.

    ReplyDelete
  7. isaac_spaceman12:00 PM

    I agree that the whole spring-forward/fall-back thing is stupid, but the solution is not to get rid of DST.  It is to have DST always.  I love sunlight and see no reason why it should be wasted on the early morning.  We have organized our lives around the wrong schedule, and DST corrects that. 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tracy H1:33 PM

    Interesting to read what happens in Indiana. In AZ, primetime always starts at 7pm, no change when DST starts/ends elsewhere. No idea what happens at 2am, never stayed up late enough to see :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lou W4:48 PM

    Interesting, I hadn't thought about that in a long time.  I grew up in Northwestern Indiana where a small part of the state, due to proximity to Chicago, is always on Central time.  So for half the year we were an hour off from 95% of the state.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lou W4:52 PM

    Exactly!  It's my least favorite thing about living in Boston.  On Dec 21st the sun sets at 4:15pm!  It makes winter extra miserable.  Yesterday was a day of celebration, as it means that occasionally I'll start leaving work before it is pitch dark. Better yet would be to move to Nova Scotia time and pick up an extra hour of sun year round.

    ReplyDelete