Tuesday, July 12, 2011

GEORGE GLASS, IN MOURNING: Sherwood Schwartz, who created both The Brady Bunch and Gilligan's Island, has passed away at 94. To say he enriched our lives is an understatement.

As Schwartz explained in a 2002 Retrocrush interview (seriously, read the whole thing), the Brady Bunch was something of an aspirational show. "I think that people growing up might see a family that they would try to emulate because they have deficiencies in their own family. They don’t talk to their parents as well as the Brady kids talk to theirs. If they’re similar, they have something in common. Either way, families tune in to see The Brady Bunch. We just wanted an entertaining show that had certain moral qualities."

From a 2001 interview:
I thought I had a great idea. And it's still a great idea. It's people. Here's a serious show. It's serious in that Arabs and Jews have to learn to live together for they're stuck together. North Koreans and South Koreans, they have to learn. If you don't learn, you'll all die. So there's this philosophic basis -- this is not an afterthought, this is in the show. When the show first came on the air I got with regularity bachelor's degree, master's degree thesis from people in the theatrical area explaining what's the basis for "Gilligan's Island." Like I didn't know. It was carefully thought out, these seven people. That took me like a year to figure out who should be on the island. And it was all with a view towards the respect that people have to learn for each other because nobody is the same as anybody else. When would a billionaire sit down and have lunch with Gilligan, except if he had to? The same is true of a movie star and a professor. There's miles between them, but when they're stuck in the same place they have to learn to live together. That's what the show is about, people learning to live together....


The easiest show I ever developed was not "Gilligan's Island." That took a long time. "The Brady Bunch" was very simple. That was based on four lines I read in the Times, the LA Times, It was a filler item in the paper that said that that year some 29 percent of all marriages had a child or children from a previous marriage. And that's all I needed. Two sentences, three sentences gave me "The Brady Bunch" because I realized when you're talking about a third of all marriages, you're talking about a whole new sociological phenomenon.

I was so sure there would be 900 writers writing ideas based on that, that I raced to the typewriter and wrote the premise for "The Brady Bunch" and wrote the script as quickly as I could. And much to my surprise, nobody else even saw that item or it never meant as much to anybody else as it did to me. To me, it opened a new door in situation comedy. The premises were much easier to come by; they had not been done before.... "The Brady Bunch" isn't that different than "Gilligan's Island." It's two families that have to learn to live together in one case. In the other case it's seven strangers who have to learn to live together. I think that's the most crucial problem in the world today. Just take a look at these kids who go to school with guns and kill people because they don't know how to live together. Nations have to learn. We only have one planet to live on and we have to learn to live with each other or the planet will get blown up.

25 comments:

  1. The Pathetic Earthling1:54 PM

    Apart from the premorse I'm feeling.  Yeah, I was more a Gilligan's Island guy than a Brady Bunch, but I spent a lot of time with both of those shows.  Thanks, Mr Schwartz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. isaac_spaceman2:13 PM

    I don't want Sherwood Schwartz cheapening his legacy by calling it aspirational.  He made two dumb shows that were a lot of fun to watch unironically as a kid, and then with increasing kitch and nostalgia value as the kids (and shows) got older.  Absolutely nothing wrong with that.  It's not Godard and it doesn't have to be. 

    I do believe that Bobby's "porkchops and applesauce" line reading was an impression of Sherwood Schwartz. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eric J.2:14 PM

    I would have to say that the Brady Bunch ran away from it's premise as quickly as it could, however. The conflicts were always boys vs. girls, older vs. younger, or kids vs. Mom and Dad. After Tiger ruined the wedding cake, I don't recall any acknowlegement that there was a time before these kids lived together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They never did do the episode in which Carol's ex-husband showed up.  (While Mike's a widower, they never mentioned what happened on the other side.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marsha2:32 PM

    Well, there was an episode about Cindy nominating Mr. Brady for a Father of the Year thing that had, at least as subtext, the whole "he's not my real dad but I love him" thing.

    And the wedding cake fiasco was entirely Fluffy's fault. Which is why we never saw Fluffy again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My friend Steve (who was my phone-a-friend on WWTBAM) was subsequently on the show himself.  He whipped through 14 questions without using a lifeline, and for 1 million, was asked Carol's MAIDEN name.  Made all the nastier?  At the time, Google fed you "Martin"--the wrong answer, her first married name.  He was lucky enough that the 50-50 took away "Martin" and walked away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sconstant2:40 PM

    Looking at the episode guide on wikipedia confirms my recollection that often during the first season there were plot details about the new arrangement and whether/how it was working.

    ReplyDelete
  8. According to Wiki, that was Marcia, Marsha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marsha2:52 PM

    Duh - of course it was. Damn my faulty memory.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marsha2:52 PM

    It's a miracle they survived. Six kids sharing one toiletless bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  11. kcosmo's neighbor2:58 PM

    What will be the Brady Bunch for our children? iCarly? I think not. I don't think they'll have a Brady Bunch. If we were not watching the Brady Bunch, we weren't sitting by the TV. I think at one point it was on 6 times a day. I say this because I watched it...6 times a day!

    We recently rented a season or two for my girls to watch (ages 8 and 10). They loved it! I was noticing how Mike and Carol always tackled problems as a team. They'd literally walk hand-in-hand to the yard to see what exactly was troubling whoever was troubled. Am I the only person whose home does NOT operate this way? I think not. For one, well, I have no yard in NYC, but for two...when there's a problem in my yardless existence, it's every man for himself.

    Oh well...thanks for the memories Sherwood. I believe I saw your name on my TV screen at least a gazillion times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chuck3:42 PM

    My inner little brother never liked The Brady Bunch because when I was a kid, my big sister would want to watch it when I wanted to watch other stuff.  I preferred the silliness of the island.  My sense is that Sherwood is giving himself too much credit in those quotes above.  Randomness:  I think of him whenever I'm on I-95 in CT and pass signs for Sherwood Island.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jennifer4:11 PM

    Thanks for this post. I never would have guessed there was so much depth behind Gilligan's Island!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Genevieve4:17 PM

    We just watched Galaxy Quest this past week, and I'd forgotten the bit where the cast try to explain to the alien that not everything they've been broadcasting is real life - they mention Gilligan's Island, and the aliens look stricken and cry, "Those poor people!!"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I saw Bridesmaids in a packed theatre.  Only about 10% of us laughed at the George Glass reference and we laughed hard.  After the lights came on, I saw that only 10% of us were old enough to get it.  My friends, all younger, didn't get it.  

    ReplyDelete
  16. Joseph J. Finn5:36 PM

    I blame Glen Wheldon for just now on Twitter making me aware of the existence of Big John, Little John:


    http://www.youtube.com/v/V6m7x9GDxwY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="170" height="140

    ReplyDelete
  17. The Pathetic Earthling6:29 PM

    Matt - I remember that episode very well.  And remember blowing it in the comfort of my own living room!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adam C.7:10 PM

    Totally remember watching the show, but more so the theme song.  Of course, that's Cousin Oliver as Little John.

    Also, note that Big John is supposed to be forty years old.  As a 40-year old, I take umbrage.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The "pork chops and applesauce" line was Peter, not Bobby. Poor, misguided, oh-no-how-sad-nobody-came-to-my-hero-party Peter. 

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always found Cousin Oliver kind of creepy when I was a kid. After clicking on that link I have to say... I still do. 

    ReplyDelete
  21. Via Schwartz (Retrocrush interview):

    <span>
    <p><span>In the early episodes of there was clearly no idea or direction that any of these kids could dance or sing.  At one point was it decided to start using them in that capacity?</span>
    </p><p>The show just went along, all of them had a certain amount of talent in that direction, except for poor Peter, who had no talent.  Most of the time he just kept quiet.
    </p></span>

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous8:52 PM

    Although my family was dysfunctional, it was intact, but the show never dealt with issues my friends from split families dealt with -- custody battles, weekends with estranged dad, arguments over child support. So we always felt like "Brady Bunch" was an ideal family we could never aspire to...So Sherwood (God Rest His Soul) can blow the aspirational crap out his butt.

    I agree with Spaceman -- they were dumb shows that took us out of our f-d up lives for a half hour and I can't fault that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. bella wilfer9:49 PM

    This is kind of cool...he seems like he was a fantastic guy.

    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/brady-bunch-gilligan-sherwood-schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  24. Faulty memory or seething resentment from having to endure years of "Marsha, Marsha, MARSHA!" lines?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Marsha3:14 PM

    Tomato, tomahto...

    ReplyDelete