Saturday, August 6, 2011

FOOTNOTE CONTINUATION NOTICE:  We have been known to cover nerdy student competitions here from time to time, but, whoa, I didn't know there was a World Microsoft Office Competition held last week for students ages 13-22 to show their stuff in creating Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents.  Official site here, and apparently the competition includes "a scenario-based task":
Contestants will be given a high-resolution copy of a Word document or Excel workbook to recreate, a printed set of guidelines containing specifications for the document or workbook, and data files that can be used as building blocks to speed up the recreation of the document or workbook. Students will be allowed up to 50 minutes to recreate the document or workbook they are provided.
I would really like to get a hold of these exams. Especially the one in Word 2007. (Hate Word 2010.)

10 comments:

  1. Eric J.9:59 AM

    Let me do the work in FrameMaker and I'll have it done in 25 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew10:49 AM

    I assume that this standard core competition exam is similar to the tests that temp agencies use to establish competency in Word and Excel. When I applied for jobs through temp agencies years ago (I assume this is the same now), I never did as well as I could have on those tests, because I was using keyboard shortcuts rather than the menus. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jordan11:55 AM

    Scenario: Your company purchased computers at two times, six months apart.  These came with different versions of Word.  Your superiors cannot comprehend the "save as" command.  Create a plan so that all documents created will be readable by all members of your company.  Layout is important, so spacing and margins must be identical no matter who opens the document.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie1:46 PM

    I'm dealing with this right now - half of my colleagues have old word, half have new.  Working on a multi-office project involved literally hundreds of word documents has been mildly frustrating to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Roger6:02 PM

    I'd just be happy if anyone at my firm other than me knew what a style is in Word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marsha8:46 PM

    You work with several people who all have to opine on the same document. None of them understand what "track changes" means. None of them will use the version you have provided for this purpose on a shared drive. Each emails you back an edited version. Hamonize all the contradictory changes, none of which have been marked as changes, into a single document in a way that makes everyone (except you) happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:50 AM

    You got great points there, so I always visit your blog, it looks like you are an expert in this field. keep up the good work, My friend recommends your site.

    My blog:
    rachat rachat de credit

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Pathetic Earthling5:32 AM

    But isn't in high time that Word build in version-tracking software?  Track changes sucks.  Track changes under Word 2010 really, really sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marsha2:16 PM

    None of that matters if I can't get people to use it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Marsha, do I at least get a copy of DeltaView?

    ReplyDelete