Thursday, April 19, 2012

TAKE A LOAD OFF, ANNIE, AND YOU PUT THE LOAD RIGHT ON ME: I thought I said all I needed to say about Levon Helm, who died today (and for whatever reason, I'm sadder than I expected), except I just read this in the Huffington Post. I haven't said much (anything) nice about Bruce Springsteen here, but, as this story goes, when Helm was about to lose his house because of his medical bills, Springsteen turned up at Helm's house with a million-dollar check and Helm said he couldn't take it. That says a lot about both guys.

6 comments:

  1. Earlier today someone told me it was "Fannie," not "Annie," and pointed to this: http://theband.hiof.no/articles/the_weight_viney.html I don't know what to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. isaac_spaceman5:05 PM

    I always assumed "Annie" because of the reference to "what about young Anna Lee," but I am open to contrary evidence.  It's anarrow flight away. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's what the article references and why I always thought it was "Annie," too. Apparently it has a lot to do with STDs? Who knew.

    ReplyDelete
  4. bill.5:18 PM

    I've always thought it is was Fannie. Watching the version from The Last Waltz, there's a close up while he sings that part and it *looks* like Fannie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. isaac_spaceman5:42 PM

    I don't buy the STD thing for one minute.  It doesn't even pass the straight-face test.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meghan6:52 PM

    I just watched a performance and it looks like Fannie to me as well.

    ReplyDelete