Thursday, October 25, 2012

IT HAS NUDITY, VIOLENCE AND SEXUALITY, PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE: Cloud Atlas, um, is this going to make my head hurt?
Roger Ebert: "Surely this is one of the most ambitious films ever made.... Anywhere you go where movie people gather, it will be discussed. Deep theories will be proposed. Someone will say, 'I don't know what in the hell I saw.'" 
A.O. Scott: "This is by no means the best movie of the year, but it may be the most movie you can get for the price of a single ticket. It blends farce, suspense, science fiction, melodrama and quite a bit more, not into an approximation of Mr. Mitchell’s graceful and virtuosic pastiche, but rather into an unruly grab bag of styles, effects and emotions held together, just barely, by a combination of outlandish daring and humble sincerity."

Keith Phipps: "Measured scene by scene, the film isn’t always successful, and its transcendent moments make it easy to wish it could reach that elevated pitch more often. But Cloud Atlas is the sort of work where the big picture matters more than the details. It’s an imperfect film of great daring and tremendous humanity, a work of many stories, but a singular achievement."

6 comments:

  1. I'm still not sold, and the wildly divergent reviews leave me unsure of what to think. I think my moviegoing dollar this weekend is more likely to be spent on Fun Size (which looks like good stupid fun) and The Sessions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jordan9:38 AM

    The previews make it look like an overly-ambitious clusterfuck and the reviews seem to back that up. Which means I'm going to see it, eventually, because I like it when film makers really go for it, even if they don't quite make it.

    I saw a commercial for Fun Size and thought it was a made-for-MTV-movie. So yeah, I will not be watching that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have much of an opinion on the movie Fun Size, but I am seriously pissed off at it's marketing. They ran a trailer before the last Diary of a Wimpy Kid movie that included some seriously inappropriate content for 8-9 year olds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marsha10:38 AM

    The book very much made my head hurt. Not sure I'm going to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Sessions was wonderful. Definitely worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. bellawilfer1:57 PM

    I was intrigued until I found out it's three hours. I don't know if I'm 3 hours worth of intrigued.

    ReplyDelete