Monday, June 20, 2005

REMEMBER, I'M FIGHTING FOR THE AMERICAN FILM INSTITUTE'S HONOR, WHICH IS PROBABLY MORE THAN THEY EVER DID: So this Tuesday night is one of my favorite nights of the summer television season, the night when CBS turns over three hours to the AFI to review the 100 Greatest [Something] In Movie History.

Last year, as we blogged, it was Songs; in 2003, Heroes and Villains.

This year, as we started discussing back last November, it's Movie Quotes.

Here's my guess as to the top ten; the last one will end up in the number one slot and the one before it in second, but all I'm confident in saying about the rest is that they'll be heard after 10:30pm:

  • I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.
  • Go ahead, make my day.
  • Play it, Sam. Play “As Time Goes By.”
  • Plastics.
  • You don't understand! I could’ve had class. I could’ve been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.
  • Well, nobody's perfect.
  • You talkin’ to me?
  • Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
  • Rosebud.
  • There's no place like home.
[Full list of nominated quotes.] You can never go wrong betting on The Wizard of Oz in a list like this.

[I ought to add this: I don't actually think "Rosebud" is a great movie quote as much as it is a great movie concept. It's a total MacGuffin; y'all know that by now, right? It really doesn't matter at all what "Rosebud" is; it's all about the search, not the result. As Thompson says, "Maybe Rosebud was something he couldn't get, or something he lost. Anyway, I don't think it would have explained everything. I don't think any word can explain a man's life. No, I guess Rosebud is just a piece in a jigsaw puzzle... a missing piece."]

We might liveblog this thing, but we'll certainly be around to discuss afterwards. Predictions, folks?

No comments:

Post a Comment