Saturday, July 16, 2005

CRASHED: If you've read the reviews, you've got the gist of Wedding Crashers, which not quite as raunchy as it's set out to be (oh, there are some cute bits, but it's not sustained), nor does it really make its way through the third act flawlessly.

That said, it's got some good moments to it. I know that I said last month that I wanted "an official moratorium on Vince Vaughn still playing the role of Vince Vaughn", but, you know what? His scenes with Isla Fisher (a/k/a Flute Girl II) are the best thing in the movie, and his character arc completely worked for me. It's half of a great comedy, based on Vince Vaughn doing what he does best

But Owen Wilson? I'm not sure if it's his general cinematic demeanor or the way the character was written, but I did not buy the Butterscotch Stallion as a sleaze-in-need-of-redemption; he's too essentially good natured. I mean, c'mon, Hansel's too mellow to be plotting against women; he's too cool for that.

There are problems, too, with ALOTT5MA favorite Christopher Walken. It is not inherently funny just to have him in a movie; you need to give him something to do.

Bottom line? If you were planning to see the movie, see it; if you weren't enthused, I'm not about to tell you your preconceptions were wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment