Thursday, April 27, 2006

I'VE BEEN TAKING KRAV MAGA CLASSES: Nice to see Alias bringing back some old friends as we play it out. And by "old friends," I mean the terrorist operations center housed in the VIP room of a European techno club, the promo/episode title/episode structure designed to ensure that there is not one single surprise, and the hideously unconvincing accents. Guys, guys, we've missed you.

Most interesting part of the episode -- the "Riders on the Storm"/"Rapture" mash-up in the zip-line scene. I am generally opposed to the Doors and largely indifferent to Blondie. I do love "Rapture," however, for any number of reasons: great bass line, wonderful use of chimes to convey menace (probably, I think, one of only two times chimes have been successfully used in top-40 music, the other being "Always Something There to Remind Me"), probably the first time I ever heard rapping (even if this is somehow a precursor to white-people rap), and a line (supposedly "and it's finger popping") that to this day my sister and I swear uses a different word instead of "popping" that makes it one of the seamiest lyrics ever to get past the FCC censors. Surprisingly, the marriage to the Doors works -- it supplies a lot of the things that the Doors always lacked, including (a) an actual bass line to speak of; (b) a groove; and (c) a sense that the band is not utterly disinterested in the music.

Commenters, spoil away.

No comments:

Post a Comment