Thursday, September 6, 2007

ANOTHER PALACE TO IMPLODE: My fellow natives of Northeast Philly and thereabouts will be saddened to learn that the Orleans 8 Cinema has closed. The two big screens at the Orleans, in their bowling-alley shaped rooms -- were still among the grander in the City, especially feeling that way when I got to first base with a high-school date during Say Anything. The Orleans is also where I saw the midnight preview of Tim Burton's Batman, one of the more thrilling cinematic experiences of my life, and where my friend Craig and I went the night of our senior prom, opting instead to see -- Craig, correct me if I'm wrong -- Peter Greenaway's The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover, an odd choice for anti-prom night or, really, any night.

The space where the theater stands is likely to become a Target.

No comments:

Post a Comment