Tuesday, April 28, 2009

BIRDS FLYING HIGH, YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL: Is Jamie Foxx starring in a movie about music right now? Because it wasn't mentioned at all tonight. Odd. As for the singers in our padded hour, everyone's pretty tightly packed in the B+ to B- range tonight, and I think I come out with them ranked like this:
  • Kris: "The Way You Look Tonight". Just dreamy. Lovely. Didn't oversing it, and just a totally engaging performance.
  • The Lambert: "Feeling Good." Oh, no! Not the song that knocked off two semifinalists in one 2007 week! Is it even a Rat Pack song? And honestly, until the last ten seconds I thought it was kitschy, indulgent, Liza-esque, in need of the pimp slot he was awarded ... and then, that note. Oh, my. Yeah, that was something. Also, the entrance.
  • Allison: "Someone To Watch Over Me". Confident, mature, didn't shout it, pretty damn good but not (though Kara felt otherwise) the tier-shattering performance she needs.
  • Hokey Gokey: "Come Rain or Come Shine". Ditches the playoff beard for a goatee, but that's not the real problem -- I thought his histrionics at the end of the song, regardless of how well-performed they were, had nothing to do with selling the emotional content of the song. It was showy for its own sake, and I did not feel it, dawg.
  • Matt: "My Funny Valentine". I see him in that hat and think about The Obsessed Best Friend in Not Another Teen Movie. On the performance, I don't believe he quite hit the notes he was supposed to, and I think and hope he's going home. For once -- and it's rare -- Simon was completely wrong in his praise of this performance.
And, yeah, even with only five performers, they still ran over by a minute.

N.B. Each of the songs tonight has been performed earlier on the show -- in particular, take a look at Melinda Doolittle's pantheon-level "My Funny Valentine" from the S6 semis and Constantine Maroulis' smoldering take on same, and Katharine McPhee's "Someone To Watch Over Me" and "Come Rain or Come Shine".

No comments:

Post a Comment