Thursday, June 6, 2013

EXPLODING FUCKING T----- WITH ----- ------ ---- ON TOP:  That, with certain key terms deleted, was the message Alan Sepinwall sent me last night when I told him I had made it to episode 2.7 of Breaking Bad ("Negro y Azul") in my catch-up efforts (with its awesome narcocorrida music video), and it marks as good a point as any to start our recap discussions, below the fold.



Before starting Breaking Bad, I knew three things: (1) that Bryan Cranston was so good in the role that people were okay with Jon Hamm being Emmy-less, (2) that he does, indeed, break to the bad side, and (3) eventually, there will be a dude named Gus Fring who has something to do with fried chicken.

What I didn't know was just how good Aaron Paul was -- the twitchy desperation, the occasional signs of heart mixed with the stupid, the frequent beatdowns received. I didn't realize just how detailed the show would be on issues like body disposal (the tub!) or drug manufacturing and distribution, or how applicable Walter's chemistry knowledge might be in other areas. I didn't know I could be as disturbed as I was by the kid being raised by the two meth-heads in the house with the ATM. Or by an exploding fucking tortoise with Danny Trejo's head on top. My goodness that took me aback.

And I really didn't contemplate coming into the show how much it would be about lies within a family. I didn't get that Walter was still a husband, father, and teacher in addition to being a budding crime lord, and I didn't foresee just how much of the show would involve the steps he'd take to try to cover his tracks (after the Tuco escapade, in particular) to allow him to keep bringing in the money.

But how much money? This is what's nagging at me now: okay, Walter wants to have enough money to pay for his chemo, and provide for his family after he's gone. Does that require him to build an entire drug empire in Albuquerque and control everything? What's animating that desire? Obviously, Walter's got some ego issues, and there's a whole lot about Grey Matter we still need to learn, but ... I'm not sure I understand this yet. But, damn, I'm having fun with Heisenberg and the gang. Forty episodes to go until August.

5 comments:

  1. Maret Orliss12:21 PM

    I love this show so much. It is so well done and as you'll find out as you continue watching one of the best things it does is explore characters and how far they'll go. It constantly, impressively surprises the viewer. And yes on Aaron Paul's awesomeness. And from my brief interactions with both him and Cranston on a few occasions, they are both incredibly down to earth, nice guys, who LOVE what they do and credit Gilligan and the crew and their colleagues for the greatness of the show more than they will ever take credit themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the "why does he keep building his empire when he has the money he needs?" question is really at the heart of the show, and who Walt really is.


    The episode that hooked me was the one with the bathtub, and the guy in the basement. I'd just never seen a show take so much time to really think through the ramifications of disposing of a dead body, or of killing someone who likely wants to destroy or kill you.


    I just rewatched a later episode, "One Minute," my absolute favorite (no spoilers here), and was reminded of just how good Aaron Paul and the guy who plays Hank are. Just amazing acting on this show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. bellawilfer2:26 PM

    Adam, I am at the exact point you are and absolutely hooked. I agree with Sue, I think the bathtub/basement stuff (and the truth of how freaked out you would be if you had a dead bad guy and a not-dead bad guy to deal with) was what hooked me, and then the Tuco stuff was just amazing.


    I also agree that the Grey Matter stuff is kind of annoyingly vague at this point - I don't get exactly what happened to dissolve the partnership (and for Gretchen to switch over to the other GM partner), but I'm hoping that will be cleared up...?


    Anyway, I am totally dedicated to catching up before August. Do we know if the first half of S5 will be avail on Netflix streaming before then or are they going to screw us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Randy2:50 PM

    If nothing else, it looks like AMC will be re-airing the whole series on Fri-Sat nights, starting next weekend. 2-3 episodes a night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to everything above. I'm working my way through my umpteenth watching of the series, this time with DVD commentaries (highly recommended). So many shows - even those I love - constantly return their characters to normal unchanged, so this multi-season examination of a man's moral/amoral journey is amazing to watch.

    I agree that one of the fascinating parts of the series is the mechanics of it all: making drugs, laundering money, buying supplies, disposing of the inconvenient. Other shows would skip it or rush it; this show makes it part of the story. And Aaron Paul's performance, just brilliant.

    I so look forward to hearing the first-timers' response to this point forward.

    ReplyDelete