- Neither Timberlake nor Kanye gets into any of the top categories, with your five nominees for album of the year being Taylor Swift, Macklemore, Daft Punk, Kendrick Lamar, and Sara Bareilles. The Bareilles nod is particularly odd, given that "Brave" doesn't crack song or record the year. Bruno Mars gets in for record and song, but not for album.
- Despite her cultural omnipresence and both "Wrecking Ball" and "We Can't Stop" being eligible? Not a single nod for Miley.
- Best New Artist is seriously weird. Though Lorde is up for record/song of the year for "Royals," she's not in, nor is Imagine Dragons (up for record of the year for "Radioactive"). Joining Macklemore and Kendrick Lamar as nominees are EDM artist James Blake, country singer Kacey Musgraves, and Ed Sheeran.
- Despite the love for Red in the top category, not much for Ms. Swift elsewhere--indeed, "I Knew You Were Trouble" seems to have been completely snubbed, despite being considered a big contender.
- EGOT Watch--Billy Crystal (who needs an Oscar and a Grammy to complete) is up for Spoken Word, as is Carol Burnett (who shockingly, has only an Emmy).
- Other interesting nominees? David Sedaris (in spoken word), the Broadway Matildae (cast album),
Friday, December 6, 2013
MAYBE THEY REPLACE IT WITH AN IPOD IN THE FUTURE: Grammy nods are out, and a few noteworthies:
Posted by Matt at 11:09 PM