Wednesday, March 2, 2005

LUB DUB, LUB DUB, LUB DUB: So, our daughter visited the giant walk-through heart at the Franklin Institute for the first time this week, and it had me thinking about favorite museum experiences when I was a kid.

I was a huge fan of the Ontario Science Centre when my dad took us to Toronto with all its interactive exhibits, and the assembly line at the Boston Children's Museum.

But my heart, as it were, was the Giant Heart at the Franklin Institute, with its massive twisting arterial tunnels, veins and lung passages. And the massive Baldwin locomotive. And, oh, wow, the van de Graaf generator, showing the effects of electricity on unsuspecting long-haired kids. The Franklin Institute gave me a life-long love of science that, um, ended around 11th grade, when AP Chemistry just got too damn hard.

So tell us a story about a museum or an exhibit that you enjoyed as a kid. (Bonus for stories that contain the phrase "there used to be . . . ")

No comments:

Post a Comment