Saturday, September 23, 2006

TWO SEPARATE, YET EQUALLY IMPORTANT PARTS: I didn't mind much the introduction of hot chicks into Law and Order: Original Recipe--Milena Govich was sufficiently hard-edged as Green's new partner (and Jesse Martin's lecture about lessons was nicely written and delivered) and Alana De La Garza added a bit of an edge to the junior ADA part (which has been lacking ever since Angie Harmon left--need I say more than "Is this because I'm a lesbian?"). What I did have a problem with is that it looks like we're introducing an overarching "arc plot" as part of a campaign to earn Sam Waterston an Emmy for acting (no wins in six nominations) about McCoy reconciling with his daughter. While I would argue that the greatest L&O of all time is "Aftershock" (an episode that's all character, no crime), part of what has made the show so effective for so long is that it is almost entirely self-contained. Waterston's tremendously talented--his lacking of an award is sad, but this doesn't strike me as the way to get it. (And anyway, the fine folks at the Emmys know it's Hugh Laurie's turn this time anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment