Monday, September 18, 2006

YOU'VE GOTTA ASK YOURSELF -- WHAT IF SHE'S FOR REAL?: What with YouTube, Netflix, and NBC's series of just-a-hair-short-of-infomercials plugging Studio 60 to the hilt, tonight's premiere wasn't so much a pilot as an extended series of previouslies getting us up to speed for next week's start to the season. It's not a brilliant pilot, but I think the show is for real.

Blah blah blah Schlamme camerawork blah blah blah Sorkin dialogue. For me, the wonderment in this episode came from watching Matthew Perry show that he can out-Sorkin Bradley Whitford. I hate to use the word multi-layered, since it's been done already, but man, the guy is practically a Vidalia. I always felt that he was the heart and soul of Friends, and I strongly suspect that he'll be the guy delivering the Moment in Any Sorkin Show Where I Get Misty more than his fair share of the time. (For what it's worth, I thought that the pilot lacked such a moment -- the closest thing was when Matt and Danny jumped onto the stage and ran out to meet the company of Studio 60.)

A few other minutiae:
  • Jordan McDeere seems a lot more like Dana Whitaker than like the president of a network. So it's not even her first day -- is she the president of a network or not? Even Isaac Jaffe seemed to have more authority. She is awfully pretty, though.
  • Funniest moment: Jack Rudolph sucking the inside of his lip when Jordan asked where her office was. I'd seen it in fifteen different previews, and Steven Weber's timing still cracked me up.
  • Harriet/Harry is a jarring name for Sarah Paulson's character. It just bothered me. I don't know why.
  • Did Whitford get his hair highlighted red to differentiate him from Perry, or was his hair always that color?

See you next week. Have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment