Thursday, December 3, 2009

MEET ME IN MONTAUK: The best of the aughts lists have been coming down the pike for a good month or so, but today the Onion AV Club revealed its highly anticipated 50 Best Films of the Decade and kudos are deserved for some great choices (or at least the exactly 50% of the list that I have seen, which considering the decade [plus three months] welcomed three new lives into the Gordon household I consider a triumph). The list also serves as a reminder of what a great period for film 2000-02 was (Memento, Tenenbaums, Almost Famous, Y Tu Mama Tambien, Spirited Away, Crouching Tiger, The Man Who Wasn't There, Moulin Rouge, Adaptation, City of God [which probably deserves the top spot], Punch Drunk Love, and LOTR: The Two Towers). I'm sure there will be those who will dispute many of the choices (especially There Will Be Blood and No Country for Old Men landing in the top five), but any list topped by Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and with disparate but remarkable films like Children of Men, Capturing the Friedmans, Kill Bill Vol. 1 and Before Sunset in the top 12 gets my respect. Now if you will excuse me, I need to get my butt over to the library and get a copy of 25th Hour so I can knock another one off the list.

ETA: Missed the Onion's list of 25 orphans and personal favorites, which includes such worthy films as 40 Year Old Virgin, Idiocracy, Far From Heaven and Sideways.

No comments:

Post a Comment