Tuesday, December 1, 2009

YOU COME AND YOU SEE 35 YEARS OF A SPEEDING TRAIN GOING DOWN THE TRACK, AND YOU'RE GONNA GET TO BE ON THE FRONT END OF IT: At the end of an exceptionally prolific, varied and enjoyable decade, Bruce Springsteen sits down to chat with Billboard Magazine.

He talks a good deal about the live shows, but the quote I want to highlight regards his prolificacy relative to thirty years ago, when it took three years to get from Born to Run to Darkness on the Edge of Town: "Looking back, I was very interested in shaping what I was about and who what I wanted to be. For every record we released, there was a record I didn't release. I was very cautious and wanted my records to have very strong identities and be about a very particular thing. The nice thing about where we are now is that the rules are much fewer and further between. I had this huge folk band that I toured and recorded with, and that was a wonderful experience. I toured solo and I loved that, and I have the E Street band at full power. I can do all these things now and really record whatever kind of music comes into my mind. Who you are and what you do is already established, so you don't have those identity concerns that you had back in the day."

No comments:

Post a Comment