Monday, April 26, 2010

I AIN'T GONNA HAVE NO MONEY TO BUY MY SON THE G.I. JOE WITH THE KUNG-FU GRIP: Eddie Murphy talks to New York magazine about a career and life in transition:
"[N]ow I'm kind of like a single dad for a week, then my wife gets the kids, then I'm like a bachelor for a week. It goes back and forth.” So which half of him seems to be winning out — the bachelor or the single dad? “I’ve lost a lot of my cool and edge, I think,” he admitted, shaking his head. “I don’t know. I think my cool and edge are gone.” But fans of challenging, adult humor want to know: Where did it go? “You know, I think I’m onto some other place. Whatever my edge or cool was back then, I’m onto some other area. I don't know what it is.” Is there any hope? “You know, I'm thinking about getting into stand-up, to see what comes up!”
How about this, Eddie: start by returning to 30 Rock. You've skipped all the reunions, the specials, participation in the Shales/Miller oral history ... it's time to try to make comedy for grown-ups again.

2 comments:

  1. Jim Bell7:41 PM

    Adam, I was just quoting the Umfufu bit from Raw (I think it's in Raw) today.  My God that man was funny.  I can remember my cousin and I taking turns doing his bits and cracking each other up just saying his words over and over and over.  How can he be so not funny now is one of the great mysteries.  It's (almost) the same as Paul McCartney not being able to write a decent pop song anymore, or, for Superman (God rest his soul) to need a wheelchair.  Can't we just get Stevie a peek.  Just a peek.  Maybe Chris Rock got all the funny that Eddie lost.

    And, think about how talented that family is, the brother's bits about Prince on Chapelle was some of the funniest material ever on that show, and that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer2:10 AM

    You know, I'd like to see interviews with Steve Martin and Bruce Willis about where their funny has gone to, as well.

    ReplyDelete