Tuesday, May 25, 2010

HER LEGAL RIGHT TO POST THIS IS NO LONGER IN .... JEO ... IS NO LONGER AT RISK: In order to spoiler-protect for those watching on delay, Amy Watts' account of her performance on Jeopardy! tonight is below the fold for the time being.

ANYONE THAT SENDS ME A CARLTON FISK ROOKIE CARD GETS A KICK IN THE NARDS: Thoughts on my Jeopardy appearance:

First and foremost - everyone and I me everyone that works for Jeopardy! is super-duper nice and they make sure the contestant experience is fun. If you are lucky enough to get the invite, go go go!

Second, Alex Trebek is a stone cold fox and somehow even more handsome and very charismatic in person.

Third, Johnny Gilbert ALWAYS talks like that. It made me giggle.

Well, I did ok.

Here are the things I did right:
  • Fabulous hair day
  • Managed not to swear either in frustration or embarrassment
  • Wagered the correct amount by the time I got to final Jeopardy so that I did go from third to second. Hey, an extra thousand bucks in your pocket isn't much to sneeze at.
Here's where it all went wrong:
  • Number one rule of Jeopardy! - unless it's your Daily Double or Final Jeopardy - Don't GUESS! Even if the game has been lousy, even if you're behind. Keeping your mouth shut doesn't actually cost you money.
  • If you're up against two contestants with similar knowledge inventories to you, hope your buzzer reflexes are better than mine were.
  • I overthought things. For the $2000 answer on European Art I almost rang in to say Rembrandt because I thought "Well, what other Dutch painters do I know?" But then I thought, "But it can't be Rembrandt, that's too easy for $2000." To contradict my earlier advice, I should've rang in with my first guess. And as to the catcher in the title of this post? When I rang in, I thought, "Well I've heard of Fisk, so he probably didn't play for an obscure team. Probably Yankees or Sox. Sox seems right. But wait. Everybody knows the Yankees or the Red Sox, so it can't be that easy for a $2,000 question. I'll go with White Sox." You saw how well that worked out for me.
  • The talk to Alex part really rattled my nerves. Before then, I wasn't nervous because I was just focused on playing the game. Then we came back from "commercial break" and we did the Alex banter and suddenly I realized, "Holy S**T! I'm talking to Alex Trebek. Alex Trebek is standing within touching distance of me and I'm having a CONVERSATION with him, like where he says something and then I say something and he says something back." And that's when my hands started shaking.
Other bits and pieces:

Final Jeopardy - Given the amount of money I had, and the correct wagering strategy, it didn't matter whether I got the question right or wrong. (By the way, this post happened right before I went out to tape and was not in the least bit hypothetical from my point of view. It, and the Slate article, really really helped me. If you're a future contestant, you MUST practice wagering strategies before you go out there. If you haven't rehearsed scenarios a million times so that you develop an instinct for the math and what to do, you'll freeze under the lights. I couldn't possibly have studied for the answers I'd see on the boards, but I could practice wagering and I'm glad I did. My friend that went with me out to LA has a PhD in mathematics and helped me by checking my homework on wagering strategies. When she was sitting out in the audience and saw my wager revealed she said in her head, "Exactly.")

As to the Final Jeopardy question - when Alex revealed the right question I was gobsmacked. All my life, I'd heard the phrase as "Hold down the fort." So when I was casting about for a military-related three word phrase that could have the meaning they gave, "hold the fort" never occurred to me. I Googled it later and "Hold the fort" gets many many more hits than "hold down the fort" so I'm clearly in the minority. But now I'm wondering if it's a Southern thing. I was in a meeting this morning when a coworker coincidentally said "Hold down the fort." Be interested to hear in the comments what you guys think. Oh, and for the record, I usually have beautiful penmanship - I'm mortified that my question was so illegible that Alex had to ask for clarification when reading it.

Regarding my talk to Alex story, if you're curious I do have a picture of the cartoon in question. Over the years I've taken some liberties with the wording in telling that story, but the gist is there. And here we were at prom. True story: After high school I lost touch with John and because his name is so common, and he has yet to join Classmates or Facebook, I've no idea where he is or what he's up to now. It's no Nicholas Sparks long lost love story, but we were good friends in high school and I'd love to hear from him. I'm hoping he's out there watching and recognizes himself in the story and finds me.

And if you're wondering what we were saying when we were clustered downstage around Alex during the end credits? We were commiserating about how much we sucked on both boards and arguing with Alex about which category it was that we completely botched.

31 comments:

  1. Renee8:15 PM

    Most importantly, many congratulations!  No matter the end result, hell, you got on Jeopardy!  And then you came on second!  And you won almost $4,000 for a half-hour's work.  Not bad at all.

    Dude, those boards sucked!  Usually I do okay, but man, tonight was horrible.  I don't know anything about baseball, the bible, chemistry, and European history, so this was not my night.

    Re: final Jeopardy -- somehow "hold the fort" popped into my head but it sounded wrong b/c I've always used "hold down the fort".  I don't think that is a Southern thing b/c I grew up in South Florida which is basically growing up a Yankee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watts8:34 PM

    Actually, second place wins $2000, regardless of the money amount on the screen.  Still better than what I normally get paid for a half hour's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Renee8:39 PM

    Oh, learn something new.  I'll take that pay scale any time!  Do they fly you out there or do you have to pay for flight and lodging? 

    ReplyDelete
  4. Watts8:43 PM

    You pay for flights and lodging, but they have a deal with a hotel for a seriously discounted rate.  I also used frequent flyer miles to get out there, so I maximized my profit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meghan8:44 PM

    Pleading ignorance...Who is John? 

    Nice work on the whole endeavor!  

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watts8:47 PM

    John's the prom date who was the subject of my talk to Alex banter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Michelle8:57 PM

    Yay for you!  'Hold down the fort' is what I've always heard as well and I grew up in Georgia.  'Hold the fort' sounds like 'hold the phone' or 'hold the elevator.' 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Devin McCullen9:14 PM

    Nice job!  Look at it this way, the guy you beat had already beaten 8 other people.

    I did know Final Jeopardy, but really wasn't sure if it would be "Hold the fort" or "Hold the line".  Never heard anything about General Sherman, and I used to be a Civil War buff,

    Funny thing about the popular category for Thing Throwers - personally, I would have been completely out of that.  (Baseball, I know.)

    And I'm guessing by now you know that Carlton Fisk did actually play for the White Sox for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maret9:20 PM

    Go Watts! I should also add that when she came to L.A. for her appearance Watts, Becca and I held a mini-ALOTT5MAcon and got drinks and met in person and it was very fun. If anyone else gets on the show (or comes to L.A. for that matter) and would like to meet up, let me know. I'm also happy to just recommend restaurants for in-town vistors because I think that worked out well for Watts too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Watts9:40 PM

    Maret's a lovely hostess (as is Becca).  If you hit Los Angeles make sure to say Hi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheila9:52 PM

    <span>Reposting because I guess I should have waited for this thread to open up rather than adding this to the end of the last one: </span>
    <span>Just watched... sorry you didn't win but you definitely came across as a smart person! I always thought that would be the most important thing if I were on Jeopardy - just don't look like an idiot! :) Seemed like you got beat by some faster clickers is all. As soon as I saw the Caldecot clue I was all, "Oh! A library one! She'll totally get this! ...aarghh, beat out by the other dude." Hope you had a great time!</span>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah - I looked it up  to see if I totally made up the White Sox/Fisk connection in my head.  

    Nightmare board all around.  You'll notice at one point I was in the lead with $0.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heather K10:38 PM

    Yay!!!  

    Hold down the fort was what I always heard.

    ReplyDelete
  14. D'Arcy11:02 PM

    I'm Canadian (born in the same city as Alex Trebek!) and I've heard the expression both with and without the "down".

    Congrats on just getting on the show.  it's on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. spacewoman11:53 PM

    Congratulations!!!  That's so exciting!  I'm in the beginning stages of a work all-nighter (sob!), so I haven't seen it yet, but we will definitely be watching it with the spaceboys (Jeopardy! fanatics both) asap.  For the record, I'm a Yankee Rhode Islander, and I've only ever heard it "hold down the fort."  Hold the fort?  I call shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous12:09 AM

    I thought the Thing Thrower category was "Movie Bands." Which I very much enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marsha12:12 AM

    You were fantastic! Congratulations - just not passing out up there strikes me as a major accomplishment.

    I thought that first board was impossibly difficult. The second one was better, but still. Tough, tough boards.

    And I had the exact same thought process on "hold the fort." All I could think of was "hold down the fort," but it was three words. Couldn't figure it out. Don't think I've ever heard just "hold the fort."

    ReplyDelete
  18. lauri1:11 AM

    way to go, watts!   so very cool...you should be proud.    i'm from the midwest originally and i also say 'hold down the fort', fwiw. 

    ReplyDelete
  19. calliekl5:58 AM

    New Englander who has never heard the phrase, "hold the fort" here. Count me in on shenanigans.

    It sounds like a great experience! If I was standing that close to Alex I would probably be unable to hold a conversation... I would just giggle really awkwardly and make everyone nervous. And you managed to do all that and still play the game afterwards! Impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Meghan8:40 AM

    Right, I just wondered if he was famous and I didn't know who he was.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Pathetic Earthling8:46 AM

    I'm pure Californian here, and the only way I've heard the phrase is "Hold Down the Fort"

    ReplyDelete
  22. Laura8:55 AM

    Congratulations! I hadn't heard "Hold the fort" without the down, and I'm from NJ. I was desperate enough for an answer, I made "pro tempore" pro tempo re. 

    ReplyDelete
  23. bristlesage9:22 AM

    Congrats, Amy, you looked great up there, like I remembered.

    Did you know you had "my" board?  My husband and I have lamented that I didn't play that game from the moment we saw the categories.  Watch on Thursday and see if I have your boards--that would be downright mean of the universe, no?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Genevieve10:07 AM

    My baseball-stats-obsessed son said, "Fisk WAS on the White Sox too, so she's close!" 

    ReplyDelete
  25. Genevieve10:11 AM

    Watts, you looked composed and calm, and came across as smart and likeable.  And your story was charming (I hope John sees it, or someone who knows him sees it, and he gets in touch - and the cartoon is so cool, I love the "not to scale").  Congrats! 
    I could tell that there were a bunch you were trying to ring on but were just beaten by reflexes (that damn buzzer is a killer).  And damn, those were some tough boards - really hard Bible questions, tough art questions, hardly any pop culture or literature.

    ReplyDelete
  26. piledhighanddeep10:56 AM

    In Ohio we say "hold down the fort" also, so you're not off base there.

    Congrats on your appearance--it's so hard to even make it on to the show!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Watts, I watched it on my DVR last night.  You looked great, and did really well - especially considering those tough boards!  I mean, what was up with "Bib-Lickal," a whole category of bible phrases about licking?  One of the oddest categories I've ever seen on this show. And chemical elements in latin? Oy.

    Oh, and when we got to final jeopardy, my husband's guess (since he hadn't read this thread and I didn't tell him the answer) was "Man the fort."  So no one really gets that one right. (I also thought it was "hold down the fort.")

    ReplyDelete
  28. Watts5:37 PM

    Nope, not at all famous.  Although his name, John Anderson belongs to at least two famous musicians and scores of other notable people.  Makes him difficult to Google and his family left the area after we graduated, as did he.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Watts5:40 PM

    I left the studio after the Wednesday ep taped, mainly because I wouldn't get to go to the commissary since I wasn't a contestant anymore.  I'll have to watch today to see. Or maybe not.  If you had "my" boards I might just throw up. <grin></grin>

    ReplyDelete
  30. Christy in Philly9:07 AM

    I have always heard "hold down the fort."

    Surprised this hasn't come up but my knowledge of Carlton Fisk is from Good Will Hunting-- Robin Williams tells Matt Damon about the big game that he didn't go to because he "had to see about a girl." That's why I would have said Red Sox.

    I watch Jeopardy every day but I must say-- I think Alex Trebek is a douche.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Watts8:37 PM

    I've never seen "Good Will Hunting."  Maybe I should have.

    ReplyDelete