Saturday, October 9, 2010

WE'LL ALWAYS HAVE SPYDADDY: Though I expect it'll get at least its initial order of 13 episodes on the air, it's pretty clear that Undercovers is probably the big disappointment commercially among the new shows (yes, Lone Star and My Generation tanked harder, but the hopes/expectations for them were considerably lower). There are many reasons for this--a cast filled largely with unknowns, the strange choice of an ad campaign focused on the two leads drinking coffee, and the silly "some couples live to love dangerously" tagline they used. But I want to focus on something else that I think is leading to folks flipping over to Survivor, particularly for this week's episode--subtitles. To make clear the "realism" of the show, when action is taking place "overseas," characters are often speaking foreign languages. I can almost hear the channels changing, particularly when the show uses an opening subtitled sequence to set up the "mission of the week" (as they did this week)--especially at 8 PM, folks want to plot on the couch and turn off their brains. It's a minor tweak, but I bet one that would catch a few more casual viewers.

That said, I actually am liking the show a fair amount, even as I recognize pretty much every part of it is an inferior copy of a better show (dweeby spy handler and former boyfriend are all-too-blatant Marshall J. Flinkman and Michael Vaughn surrogates, and "oblivious sister" is done better over on Covert Affairs)--given that I'm not interested in the reality shows they offer in that slot (including Fox sensation Yelly Chef) and can't stand Patricia Heaton, it's still a good option.

9 comments:

  1. Carmichael Harold7:24 PM

    I tried to like Undercovers (spies! JJ Abrams! hot people!!), but I'm a little bored by it every moment Gerald McRaney is off the screen, and I don't think it's the subtitles.  It's not that it's a bad show, and if there was nothing on my DVR or sports or books or people around, I'd watch it, but I don't find it to be different or interesting enough to be compelling.  

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will enjoy clueless sister much more when she gets duplicated and shot in the head. I mean, hey, she is already a chef.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becca1:42 AM

    I'm enjoying it, too, though I think she's FAR better than he is. I'm concerned he's Alex O'Loughlin (the prettiest plank of wood on TV!) in disguise, but it's hard to tell, since when he's on the screen, I can't guarantee I'm paying attention (I have the same problem when Matt Bomer's on screen. Lots of rewinding). But the supporting cast is charming, though the horndog ex thing is already wearing a bit thin. I also hope Gerald McRaney picks at least one more note to play soon, since I can't believe the company will keep coming back to them if they're so damn out of it and incompetent, as he keeps claiming. The other costar I'm not thrilled with is Los Angeles itself, but there isn't anything to be done about that, I guess. I didn't notice it as much in Alias, but here? The lighting and photography is too primetime.

    Heh. It sounds like I don't really like it. But I do! I think it's got potential. And now that they've exhausted the leads' natural linguistic gifts (right? English accent, check, German skillz, check--is that it?) I'm hoping they'll branch out and focus on crafting good stories.

    And, FWIW, I also cannot STAND Patricia Heaton. Yeesh, she bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joseph J. Finn8:18 AM

    I actually prefer subtitles instead of everyone speaking accented English.  Hell, even Eastbound and Down uses subtitles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah Lee6:58 PM

    I tried to get into Undercovers, but just couldn't.  The story and set up were OK, but I found Boris Kodjoe kind of dull.  I don't know if it's the actor or the character, but someone simply being "handsome"  and "well dressed" isn't enough if no personality or gravity comes through. (Becca may have said it better than I did.) 

    A dull lead can dampen my enjoyment of a show, and kill it if the story is lame (see Fiennes, Joseph on FlashForward).   In this case the fact that the show/network/etc seem to be presenting him as all that and a box of kittens has made his dullness kind of unbearable.   And since so much of the show depends on the interplay/chemistry between him and his tv wife the whole show doesn't work for me. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. We tried it, but found the male lead to be too dull and the initial mystery not to be engaging.  Disappointing, though, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. RandomRanter9:33 AM

    I'm still watching, but feel as others have expressed, that it's just okay. I also think that they are suffering from the repeated pilot experience, and I think that the choice to end every episode with sex seems to suggest they know the leads don't have the best chemistry and are trying to force it by repeatedly showing them in bed.  I prefer it to manufactured relationship stress, but only barely at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jennifer5:33 PM

    That was my problem too. It REALLY NEEDS snappier dialogue. I shouldn't be glazed over bored during a spy show, but I was.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hannah Lee8:51 PM

    Plus, given how disappointed I am in the show, I feel like they've wasted the promo value of a really good Gipsy Kings song.

    ReplyDelete