Friday, May 20, 2011

THOUGH YOU WERE LI'L, THE JOY YOU BROUGHT TO US WAS NOT LI'L: I'm sure I butchered that tag, but Google couldn't fetch me the quote. In any event, when Leslie Knope spoke those words (or thoseish words), it was one of the great meta moments of TVdom, right up there with "anyone who can't make money off of Sports Night should get out of the money-making business" and Cougar Town's Travis asking his mom why she has a picture of herself dancing with Bruce Springsteen and half the gags in Arrested Development's third season and Community's second. Because while Parks & Rec is a li'l show, in ratings and in ambition -- trafficking not in the worlds of corporate and network politics or life-and-death surgeries or hillbilly mob warfare or covert intrigue or gruesome forensics, but rather small-town bureaucracy and its alternately lulling and invigorating effects on the people who practice it -- pretty much everybody, it seems, sees it as radical. It is simultaneously hysterically sharp and unabashedly sentimental. Kids like P'n'R for what P'n'R has got; moms like P'n'R for what P'n'R has not. [Ed: Got.]

So in a television season that seems to have flown by quickly when it wasn't dragging interminably behind an unpredictably dispersed plume of summerlike hiatuses (hiati?) and cast absences and newsy preemptments and postponery, I saw some things. I saw Mags Bennett wrestle with grief and ambition and resignment while Raylan Givens stalked her with sublimated anger and duty that didn't know whether it was filial, paternal, or occupational. I saw a collection of drudges buoy an inconstant buffoon toward a moving proposal. I saw a rag-tag band of misfits tell sad and hopeful stories in clay and cowboy costumes while their writers and producers told sad and hopeful stories about clay and cowboy costumes. I saw a warrior tyrant wield a weave as a weapon and then cut some sour teenagers' hair off just to see them cry. And I saw a miniature pony twice move Ron Swanson, first to schoolgirlish glee, and then to silent, manly tears.

I watched less new television this season than in years, I think, but, as I've said before, we live in an age when there is so much good television that there is absolutely no reason to watch bad television.*

*And yet the biggest television headline last week was that Ashton Kutcher replaced Charlie Sheen on a Chuck Lorre show. Huh.

8 comments:

  1. "bureaucracy"

    ReplyDelete
  2. isaac_spaceman12:00 PM

    Yeah, I always get that wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. isaac_spaceman12:01 PM

    And if there's anybody who has had occasion to study the alternately lulling and invigorating effects of bureaucracy ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think television may have been better in the middle of the decade when HBO was at its absolute peak, a young group of comedies led by The Office and HIMYM were reinventing the sitcom and Arrested Development had not yet been canceled. But now there are now so many channels airing original content that there is more diversity in programing. By my quick count I watch shows on CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, FX, USA, A&E, Comedy Central, Showtime and HBO. There are so many outlets for good shows to get on the air that I think this golden age might be on the verge of getitng even better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:10 PM

    So I take it that you found Sprots Night on streaming Netflix last night as well?

    --bd

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adlai1:29 PM

    http://www.amazon.com/Bureaucratics-Jan-Banning/dp/1590052323/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1IDHQHF3MDOZK&colid=21NHYHY5H052M

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Please tell me you hung up before Ruth Bader Ginsburg."

    There is nothing currently on television that makes me laugh like P&R.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stevie8:32 AM

    I have no idea how those two actors got through making that recording without laughing constantly.

    ReplyDelete