Wednesday, February 29, 2012

I WAS THERE AND I SAW WHAT YOU DID, SAW IT WITH MY OWN TWO EYES:  Having finally watched my first sustained Idol action of the year with the four hours of semifinals these past two nights ... is that all there is?  Is there anything this season which we haven't seen before -- other than the fact that they're now adding a lot of Adele songs into the mix?   The pageanty girls who are more sexy-for-Idol-without-actually-being-dangerous than talented singers, the African American men with immaculate voices who'll finish around 5th or 6th, "rockers" with "alternative" haircuts, and the country singers and white boys with guitars who will rule over them all ... there's not a performer I've seen over the past two nights who doesn't seem derivative of and lesser than the ten seasons which preceded this. So give me a reason, other than habit, to keep watching.

14 comments:

  1. Daniel Fienberg12:15 AM

    Other than habit? Hmmm... "Complacency." That's *kinda* different from habit.

    -Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda8:16 AM

    comfort food?

    ReplyDelete
  3. lisased9:27 AM

    I definitely see some cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph9:28 AM

    The only reason would be if Jacob was still recapping but since he's not....nope, got nothin".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:48 AM

    You forget to take it off season pass on your DVR, and feel a compulsive need to watch everything you record?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fred App9:52 AM

    Heejun Han. The American Idol version of Jeremy Lin (underappreciated, underestimated Asian-American). His singing is OK, but he's a funny dude. I don't think he'll win, but I'd like to see him stick around for a while, because he was the most entertaining part of Hollywood Week.

    I'd also like to see Jermaine Jones stick around long enough to sing "Ol' Man River."

    ReplyDelete
  7. But we've already had the underappreciated, underestimated Asian-American on Idol: Anoop Desai.  And he was a funny dude too. 

    Han's "Angels" was fine, but not spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This.  I watched up until last season because of Jacob.  His recaps were so brilliant, and about a million times funnier if I'd actually seen the show.  Without him... nope.  I deleted my season pass and I haven't regretted it once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nigel from Cameroon12:11 PM

    J Lo's nipples?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Specifically applicable to Daniel--"you're getting paid to do so and write about it?"

    ReplyDelete
  11. lisased1:17 PM

    I miss the Seal of Tsathoggua.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:49 PM

    Remarkable critiques from Randy Jackson like, "Dude, I'm sayin'!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Based on how much her songs have been used in every sort of media, Adele's publishing people must have a not overly expensive licensing rate which enables the song to be used.  Remember that any song the competitors sing on air has to be cleared by legal and permission granted for the use, and at this point in the competition, they're likely picking from a list of songs that are pre-cleared rather than saying "hey, I want to sing this song, can you clear it?"  (This also explains single artist theme nights, which are much easier to clear.)

    ReplyDelete