- ahl-tuh-GETH-uhr -- A, B, C, D, can I bring my friend to tea?
- MUHS-tuhrd, suh-RINJ, MIHD-rif, EH-puh-lehp-see -- um, yeah. For real, these words counted. Okay, let's skip to the harder stuff.
- BAYN-YAY-- because we love foodie words here. A Nawlins fritter.
- PIHHR-ic -- how it'd feel to spell this word right but not advance in the competition
- SIHG-nuht -- a young swan
- GEHRN-zee -- relating to that Channel Island
- PIHN-yihn -- how one translates Chinese into a Roman alphabet
- treh-muh-LO -- from the second Tsunami album (thank you, Jenny Toomey!), it's the rapid reiteration of a musical tone
- NAHN-puh-reel -- unparalleled, or a candy your grandmother might offer you.
- kahr-uh-BEEN/kuh-RIH-bee-uhn -- Billy Ocean's queen.
- kah-kuh-WEE-theez -- an uncontrollable desire
- AYE-deh-dihk -- relating to images or essences
- ah-puh-LOO-suh -- a type of horse
- gall-uh-MAY-shee-uhs -- like most of what we blog, it's "gibberish".
Thursday, May 29, 2008
THE NOT-SO-DREADED (THIS TIME) WRITTEN ROUND: Prior to today's first oral round, the spellers were given fifty words to spell in a computerized test, with twenty-five of them being used to help determine who would advance to remainder of the competition. Here's a selection:
Posted by Adam at 2:00 PM