- The nine nominees for best picture were pretty much what you would have expected, though Beasts of the Southern Wild and Amour are mild surprises. No big huge blockbuster made it in--no Dark Knight Rises, Skyfall, or Avengers.
- Not that it matters, since Daniel Day-Lewis is going to win, but John Hawkes lost his slot to Joaquin Phoenix in the Best Actor race.
- Actress is the most competitive race, right? The only one that would shock me as a winner there is Wallis, more because of youth than anything else.
- Much better day for Silver Linings Playbook than many had anticipated, with nominations in all acting categories (Jacki Weaver is the surprise there), as well as picture, director, and screenplay nominations.
- Not so good a day for Les Mis, which gets an Actor/Supporting Actress/Picture/Song nod, as well as several technical nods, but no Director or Screenplay nod.
- Director is the big surprise--no love for Affleck, Hooper, Tarantino, or Kathryn Bigelow, which makes it look like Spielberg's shot at another Oscar is pretty clear.
- Favorite weird pairing? Costume design, where the year's two Snow White films will face off. (Both had serious problems, but the costume design was not among them.)
- Based on the overall nominations, sure looks like Lincoln is in for a big night.
Thursday, January 10, 2013
LET'S GO TO THE MOVIES:Your Oscar nominees have arrived--a few preliminary thoughts:
Posted by Matt at 9:01 AM