Thursday, February 21, 2013

FROM THE MODERN ETHICS DESK:  Under what circumstances would you file a complaint about a cab driver?

Non-hypothetical situation: a driver who violates two provisions of 52 Pa. Code § 1021.11 ("Driver requirements"):
(b)(10) Maintaining cash capable of providing change for a $20 bill.
(f) Direct route. Unless directed otherwise by a fare-paying customer, a taxicab driver shall select and use the most direct route consistent with prevailing road and traffic conditions from the point of pick-up to the passenger's point of destination.
(These and other Passengers' Rights are all posted in the back of each taxi, with a phone number listed to call if they are not respected by the driver.)  It was a cold and crappy night, and the driver (I wasn't paying attention) took a circuitous route that involved a whole lot of South Street on a Friday night (when Pine or Bainbridge move much faster), and was not able to give change for a $20 for a $12 fare + tip, suggesting that I go into a nearby bar to obtain change for him.

Now, I understand the Isaac position on this: being a cab driver (or any service industry job) is not a luxurious profession, that "if you want to save money, take the bus" and so the marginal dollar should always go to the driver, rather than you ... so if not under these circumstances,  when would you call the relevant regulatory agency to complain about a licensed driver?

3 comments:

  1. I'd be dialing the Taxi & Limousine Commission before leaving the cab and NOT paying the cab driver if he can't make the change. I make sure to tip well when service is good, and even "over-tip" when service is average, but if the service is poor then Isaac's position can't hold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love maps, so having a map on my phone is a little dangerous. I'm always checking on exactly where I am, or how to get where I'm going. I've also used it when taking city buses in unfamiliar cities (first tried in Atlanta when going from MLK museum to the Varsity for lunch).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hell no. You go and get change.

    ReplyDelete