Friday, August 30, 2013

GIVE IT UP: The summer could not end with my crowning the Worst "Blurred Lines" Parody of the Summer, a promo for Salt Lake City's KUTV News which somehow manages to be more exploitative of women than the original version.

It's one thing to have models prance around as the mute subjects of the male singers—being objectified is an inherent component of the job description. It's another to ask professional female newsreaders and reporters to dance around their male colleagues in an admiring manner, chastely fondle them, and serve as the subject of the male gaze in an asymmetrical, tacky mess. I have no idea why they'd agree to do this, and just have the oogies about the whole thing. [That said, 1:06 to 1:08 of the video is kinda awesome.]

On the other hand, when it comes to Song of the Summer remakes, there's Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's "Get Lucky," which is absolutely glorious. 

2 comments:

  1. Reggae12:14 PM

    Adam, I think you need to lighten up a bit on the "Blurred Lines" parody. I found the KUTV spot better than most local news ads. It looked like a fun time was had by all. Nothing "tacky" about it. You can't seriously think this was worse than the original music video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AndreaJ3:10 PM

    I agree with Reggae, I didn't think it was that bad. More amusing and fun than sleazy or degrading. On another note, are there any other major cities that still have an all-white news team? That was more surprising to me than anything. I know you'd never see that on the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete