Monday, July 10, 2006

IT'S NOT LIKE IT WAS DRAGGIN' ME DOWN OR SOMETHING: My 32-year-old sister -- who, like me, grew up in Philadelphia, but is generally more musically literate than I am -- just called me to say that she'd heard a song on the radio that she liked. She'd never heard the song before, but when the DJ announced the name of the song and the band, she remembered that I'd liked the band when we were kids, so she called me to tell me. Here's where I get confused: the song was "I Don't Like Mondays," by the Boomtown Rats.

"What do you mean, you've never heard I Don't Like Mondays?"
"I don't know, I never heard it!"
"But WMMR and WYSP played it every week!"
"I don't know what to tell you, but I never heard it before today!"
"I just don't understand."

So what's the story here? Is this a more obscure song than I thought, or is there some weird deficiency bubble in my sister's musical experience?

No comments:

Post a Comment