Friday, July 14, 2006

MY NOMINEES -- "BRAND NEW LOVE" BY SEBADOH, AND JUST BECAUSE IT'S ON MY MIND, "SURRENDER" BY CHEAP TRICK: Bill Simmons' mailbag contains the following question -- what songs would have been better had Bruce Springsteen recorded them? After starting off with a discussion of Bruce's stealing ownership of "One Headlight" from the Wallflowers at the 1997 VMAs, Simmons adds this list:
'See a Little Light' by Bob Mould; 'Taillights Fade' by Buffalo Tom (and just for the record, I absolutely love those guys, but that would have been a top-five Bruce song); 'Way Down Now' by World Party; 'Rain King' by Counting Crows; 'Expresso Love' by Dire Straits; the theme to 'Beautiful Girls'; 'Turn the Page' by Bob Seger; and my personal favorites, 'Santa Monica' and 'You Make Me Feel Like A Whore' by Everclear. Bruce also would have done much better with 'I Am Mine' than Pearl Jam did because Eddie Vedder mailed in that entire album during his 'I don't want to be famous anymore' stage.
What else? (Also, I will take this excuse to link to one or two of my favorite VMA performances.)

No comments:

Post a Comment