Thursday, October 5, 2006

EIGHT MEN (AND WOMEN AND CHILD) OUT: Last night's Nine, well, wow. The first 17 minutes of that show may have been the best pilot I've ever seen. The show very efficiently set up the characters (some more successfully than others), constructed the drama, then really hit the gas. The chaos in the rescue was so perfect -- each detail seeming to say that the brains behind this show have given thought to every moment of the missing 52 hours. I thought that the choice to give us so many facts without any context, putting us in the same position as the rescuers, was brilliant.

The next 43 minutes? I thought it maintained the intrigue of the first act of the show, but didn't build on it. Don't get me wrong -- I am interested in seeing how these people cope, but really, I'm more interested in how they got there than where they go now. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the rest of this season.

By the way, if we're moving toward full Salinger televised employment, why isn't Claudia first in line?

No comments:

Post a Comment