Friday, November 16, 2007

DEPOSITIONS AND CLOTURE: I didn't catch who wrote last night's Office, but it seemed very Paul Lieberstein-y to me. Like the episodes that I know are Lieberstein's, this one did a great job setting the broadly comic elements off against the underlying personal tragedies, in this case the quagmire of Michael's relationship with Jan. Plus, we got two bonuses: a little more insight into CFO David's personality (this is weird, but I've actually never met a CFO who I haven't liked); and another entrant in the ALOTT5MA Unrealistic Depictions of Our Specialties Collection. I have 20 depos to take or defend in the next 2 1/2 months, and I plan on using this new strategy of bringing all kinds of random people to the deposition and having them argue with each other on the record.

Meanwhile, I'm still amazed at how well 30 Rock keeps developing its characters and their relationships amid all the nonstop jokes. Did you notice how Jack and Carmela's "My cell phone was ringing [v]agner"/"[V]agner?" exchange was a callback to Liz, Jenna, and Birdbones's "Kill the Wabbit" discussion, a fraction-of-a-second reminder of how, underneath the accretions of possessions and affectations, Liz and Jack are more or less the same? I have two questions here: (1) Did Tracy Morgan somehow lose 20 pounds all of a sudden?; and (2) is this show in danger of provoking a variant of Simpsons-logorrhea, that affliction characterized by one or more people being reminded of a Simpson's episode and then being annoyingly incapable of shutting off the quote spigot?

No comments:

Post a Comment