Sunday, July 12, 2009

THE SOUND OF RERUN EATING POPCORN: Remember when Adam posted a link to Ben Gibbard doing Thriller? In hunting it down for my iPod, I ran across the Internet Live Music Archive, a free collection of concert recordings ranging from low to damn high quality. Best of all, every entry on it quotes the copyright holder's approval for inclusion in the archive, so it's all legal. Gibbard's "Thriller," along with nice acoustic versions of, among other things, "Title and Registration," "Such Great Heights," and "All Apologies?" Here. A gorgeous Decemberists cover of The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down, or the same band goofing on Don't Stop Believin', Jesse's Girl, and I Don't Want to Lose Your Love Tonight? There and there (though in .flac format, so you'll have to exercise some industry). There are hundreds of artists in the archive, not all of whom I recognize, but all of whom are letting people make this available for free, which is the right price for me.

And if I'm the last person in the world to know this exists, sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment