Friday, February 4, 2011

I HAD THE MOST ABSURD NIGHTMARE: A reader passed along this photo from Cannot Unsee showing that Tyler Durden (Fight Club) and Louis Winthorpe III (Trading Places) wear the same coat, suggesting to the poster that the Ed Norton character in Fight Club had the other film imprinted in his brain in conjuring Durden.

It led me in a different direction.  Okay, remember back in May when we discussed the Tyler Durden theory for Ferris Bueller's Day Off?  Same question here: is it possible that Billy Ray Valentine doesn't exist, but that a PCP-addicted Winthorpe conjured him in his head, upon his firing from Duke & Duke, as a means of motivating himself to clean up and rebuild his career?  I'm still working through the details, but it's not a wholly implausible theory, is it?

11 comments:

  1. Isn't that Jamie Lee Curtis's coat? (That's right, I added the s.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha12:09 AM

    I worry about you sometimes, Adam.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was the coat he wore when he left jail.  And, Marsha, if it's only "sometimes" then I'm not doing my job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. kevbo nobo8:36 AM

    I have a theory that "Isaac Spaceman" is the manifestation of the repessed Id of an overworked lawyer/parent/political activist (Adam). 

    Thus, the blogger sharing various Tyler Durden theories has a Tyler Durden of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't Durden's coat all fur, while Winthorp's is leather with a fur collar?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meghan2:44 PM

    I don't want to live in a world where Billy Ray Valentine doesn't exist.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Benner3:46 PM

    "i'm a karate man!  Karate man bruise on the inside!"

    ReplyDelete
  8. Then why didn't Isaac post this?

    ReplyDelete
  9. kevbo nobo9:34 PM

    That's a question for your therapist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. spacewoman10:06 PM

    I have been in a room with both isaac and Adam.  At least, I think I have.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was at your wedding.  I was not the groom.

    ReplyDelete