Friday, February 23, 2007

A LEGEND IN (CELTIC AND EVER-) GREEN: Dennis Johnson died suddenly yesterday at the age of 52. DJ won three NBA titles, including two as the point guard for the great Celtics dynasty of the 1980s, but the one dearest to my heart was his 1979 title with the Supersonics, the last and only professional title won by a team for which I rooted. DJ was traded a year later, when coach Lenny Wilkens famously called him a "cancer." DJ kept a sense of humor about it, though, even appearing in a commercial where someone reads in the Seattle Times (I think) the rumor that he is going to be traded; he responds that "they can't trade me; I'm the best player here," immediately after which someone pokes his head in and says "Dennis, coach needs to see you right away." I guess I might keep a sense of humor too if by that point I was dishing the ball to Bird, Parish, and McHale.

No comments:

Post a Comment