Monday, September 20, 2010

THE LEGEND OF SIR WALTER DIBS: Certainly, as usual, the Marshall-Lily plot on HIMYM was far more of a laugh magnet than the Ted plot, and, personally, I found the whole episode a little laughter-light, and, yes, Ted's final line was an overly on the nose callback, but that was a pretty promising premiere, with the right amount of heart-tugging and question-answering (Marshall's relationship with his father and Rachel Bilson's character's turn, which I'd called during her monologue to Ted) with swerving to raise new questions. Alan's got some thoughts, and I'm sure y'all do too.

7 comments:

  1. I was glad Marshall realized that his dad was crazy; as much as I love Marshall, Lily was right on this one and I'm glad they let her "win" it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marsha9:58 AM

    I, for one, am sad that we didn't get to hear more about Sir Walter Dibs.

    So is the wedding Barney's, Robin's, or Barney-and-Robin's?

    The Eriksen clan is comic gold for me, especially when they interact with Lily. Just love 'em. And I love what the writers do wtih them. (It helps that I love Bill Fagerbakke and Suzie Plakson.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather K10:03 AM

    I loved that moment on the steps between Marshall and Lily and how sort of deeper it went then the usual sitcom while still managing to work in, "that was a bad example because that could totally happen," re aliens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My chief problem with it being Barney, Robin, or Barney/Robin is that I don't buy that either of them would go for the wedding in the white clapboard suburban-esque church that was shown. 

    Also, this would seem to defuse the idea that Jennifer Morrison's guest arc this year is as Mother.

    ReplyDelete
  5. gretchen11:52 AM

    I loved the Marshall-Lily plot.  I watch HIMYM partly because it's funny, but partly because the characters are exactly my age and just about right in my exact demographic.  So when Lily freaks out about Marshall oversharing with his family, it's not just funny -- it's also an opportunity to elbow my husband, a chronic family oversharer. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heather K3:19 PM

    That is exactly why I connect with HIMYM and also with My Boys

    ReplyDelete
  7. Christy in Philly9:51 PM

    I'm crediting my gaydar with the fact that I called Bilsen's character's "turn" when she entered the bar. It's good to be a lesbian.

    ReplyDelete