Monday, February 4, 2013

LAST NIGHT UNDERSCORED THAT. WHEN IS BEYONCÉ NOT FIERCE? Wesley Morris:
The bar I was in is not a Beyoncé bar. It's a Bad Religion, Bleeding Rainbow, Tiger Army type of bar. Occasionally, you'll hear Run-D.M.C. or Billy Idol or Kurtis Blow. At halftime, when the lights ceremoniously dimmed in the Superdome, they also dimmed in the bar. You could hear a hairpin drop. Like very good politicians, great pop stars bring us together without irony or apology. They're all the pleasure, none of the guilt. That's Madonna. That's Michael Jackson. That's Prince, whose sublime 2007 halftime show Beyoncé came this close to eclipsing.
If you hadn't seen Beyoncé do those sorts of video effects before, watch this. It's really something.

4 comments:

  1. Antman7:04 PM

    Hmm. I didn't get it. While not a fan of Beyonce, I don't dislike her at all, yet I thought that the performance was just a lot of what I have seen from her: The outfit, the dance moves, the video effects. And that was a 2nd-rate Destiny's Child "reunion", with Kelly & Michelle basically used as back up singers on a non-DC song. I do not go out of my way to keep up with Beyonce, yet the whole performance felt like a compilation of everything I've ever seen her do. Coming after a few years of very high-production numbers, and from artists with extremely popular song catalogs, this isn't comparable to them or Prince.Yes, she worked it, as she always does, but it wasn't spectacular or extraordinary. Sorry, that's my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Said it far better than I could.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep. Respect. Not converted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Cosmo5:32 PM

    Same here.

    ReplyDelete