Monday, October 5, 2009

162 + 1: First off, congratulations to the gentleman who posts here as J. Bowman for his start-to-finish win in the second ALOTT5MA rotisserie baseball league. His CalSci Athletics had a plan for our h2h league, focusing on a dominant all-reliever pitching staff which conceded wins but cleaned up weekly in SV/ERA/WHIP, taking down our own Alex Gordon by a 6-2 margin in our two-week finals. Bo and I have been in fantasy leagues together for more than a decade, and his excellence here comes as no surprise. Thanks to everyone who made this a fun season.

We'll talk playoffs soon enough, but first it's a question of hardware. I can't imagine MVP ballots led by players other than Pujols and Mauer. That's just common sense. On the Cy side, I'm flummoxed. Carpenter v. Wainwright v. Lincecum feels like such a close call, and I want to resist giving it to Carpenter over Wainwright based on sheer narrative, though Lincecum's late-season fade may help reduce things to that pair. I've got no answer. On the AL side, I know better than to argue against King Felix given who one of my co-bloggers is, so someone else can make the case for why silly things like "ERA" and "strikeouts" make the case for Zack Greinke. So, yeah, I'm punting on both until someone here persuades me.

Finally, that +1, and I don't have a dog in the hunt between the Tigers and Twins tomorrow. Just someone explain to me the wisdom of this policy, per the AP: "The New York Yankees, holding home-field advantage throughout the postseason, can choose whether they want to start the playoffs against the Twins-Tigers winner on Wednesday or Thursday. The tricky part: The Yankees get one hour after the tiebreaker to announce their decision."

No comments:

Post a Comment